High Demand religions can leave scars, and even trauma that resides in our body. Here are 5 tips, for healing, followed by some additional resources.
I was honored to be a guest on Ronit Plank’s wonderful Podcast “And Then Everything Changed” where I share more about my story specifically of being born into Mormonism, leaving when I was 29, and the subsequent 10 years of my own healing journey since then.
Also linked are my episode with Laura Anderson, LMFT and Co-Founder of The Religious Trauma Institute. We chew the fat on this topic, and it was a joy to approach this from all angles; what it is, to more on healing it, and the conceptual married with story and even some good laughs!
5 tips to get you started:
- Get Therapy from a provider who specializes in Religious Trauma
- Speak honestly about your experiences without need to protect the organization, though protecting it with faith affirming language may be asked of you in both covert and overt ways.
- Recognize the difference between intent & impact when it comes to parents and family
- Look into means of Reparenting Your Inner Child
- Forgive yourself for however long it took to recognize the truth of the events, and commit to finding means of healing; yoga, breath work, somatic release, meditation, prayer, nature etc
Please enjoy these additional resources:
And a Guided Mediation for Reparenting Your Inner Child: